I hope you don't mind that I put down in words how wonderful life is while you're in the world

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Always faithful, no matter where or how long

Becky Mason

Mason lives in Roanoke and teaches at Cave Spring and Penn Forest elementary schools in Roanoke County.

My son, Lance Cpl. David Mason, is serving our country in combat duty in Ramadi, the capital of the Al Anbar province in Iraq. He serves with the Weapons Company, 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment. His deployment to Ramadi began in the early hours of Sept. 7, 2006.

As we ran across a field to see the departing bus for as long as possible, I realized that the young man who had just boarded a bus for combat duty in Iraq was responding to a call that had been growing in his heart for a long time.

When he first began to explain that he wanted to become a Marine, he said he wanted his life story to include service to his country, and he was determined to go now while he thought he could make a difference.

He reminded me that, even when he was an infant in a stroller, I took him into the voting booth, never missing an opportunity to cast a ballot. I remember being so proud on the day he walked into the booth and cast his own ballot for the first time.

He also reminded me about the lessons on patriotism and the responsibilities of citizenship I was always ready to give. In a recent e-mail, David wrote:

"I am proud to serve my country no matter where, no matter how long. The way the world is these days, where everyone expects to have whatever they want whenever they want it, nobody has any idea what it means to sacrifice. I am not going to lie. Combat is the worst thing I have ever had to do, hands down, but that is my job. What we do gives me a sense of pride that I don't think could be found doing anything else. I will feel that way for the rest of my life and will never regret my decision to become a Marine. I love you."

In a guest editorial written in February to the Cave Spring Connection, a reader described her participation in an anti-war demonstration in Washington. I read each paragraph, especially a section where she talked about a " ... group of designer-clothed college students from Cornell University."

She wrote that she wanted to know more about the young people of today who don't have to fear the draft. She wanted to know why they were there and asked about taking their picture.

When she asked them how it felt to be attending their first march in the nation's capital, she said she was "moved" by their answers.

One stated that protesting was the right thing to do because this war is wrong. Another said, "Is this going to be on the news? I don't want my dad to know. He is so Republican."

Somehow I am not moved.

I thought about what "moves" me as the mother of a Marine deployed to Iraq. Watching students at Penn Forest say the pledge to the flag and sing a patriotic song every morning moves me.

Seeing the excitement in the faces of first- graders at Cave Spring when they mailed boxes of supplies to David moves me. Watching fifth-graders sing a program of patriotic music for Veterans' Day and dedicate it to David moves me.

When I read Editorial Page Editor Dan Radmacher's column on Feb. 25 ("How best to support the troops?"), I was drawn to the paragraph where he said he supported the attempt to bring stability and security to Iraq, not to mention democracy and freedom.

He went on to say, "I just wish I thought there was a chance for that attempt to succeed."

I wonder how Lance Cpl. David Mason would respond to Radmacher's lack of faith? Would he have more to say about service, sacrifice and pride? Would he repeat the words, "No matter where, no matter how long?"

Because of the president's plan for a troop surge, David's deployment was extended.

While I wait for his safe return, I will remember his recent e-mail about how proud he is to serve as a Marine. I will think about his courage and be thrilled and relieved every time I hear the sound of his voice on the phone.

I will know it is OK to feel emotional about the flag or a patriotic song. I will know that every time he asks me to tell everyone how grateful he is for their support, he really means it.

Always faithful, no matter where or how long

No comments: